Victoria has a diverse range of marine environments that range from the cool productive waters in the south west of the state to the warmer subtropical waters along east coast, with many bays, estuaries and ecologically-important environments in between.
It is everyone’s responsibility to help protect the marine environment for the benefit of people and other living things.
EPA works to protect the marine environment through:
- year-round water quality monitoring at fixed marine monitoring sites
- summertime water quality monitoring and forecasting as part of Beach Report
- investigating reports and incidents of marine pollution
- regulating industries and activities that have the potential to pollute marine waters or estuaries
- contributing to marine research projects
- working with our partners on emerging marine issues.
EPA encourages the community to report any observations of marine pollution, by calling 1300 EPA VIC (1300 372 842).