Licences and approvals

Western Victoria Livestock Exchange archive

On this page:

Environment Protection Authority Victoria (EPA) received a works approval application (PDF 1.2MB) from SELX Operations P/L on 4 October 2016.

The proposal is to construct and operate a livestock saleyard to be known as the Western Victoria Livestock Exchange (WVLX) at the corner of Hamilton Highway and Connewarren Lane, Mortlake 3272. The facility has a design throughput of 200,000 cattle per year.

Process to date

The works approval application and planning permit were jointly advertised in the Herald Sun on Wednesday 12 October 2016, the Mortlake Dispatch on 13 October 2016 and the Warrnambool Standard on 15 October 2016.

An open-house information session including overview presentation of the proposal was also held on 8 November at the Moyne Shire Mortlake Offices. This event was held to help the community learn about the proposal and how to participate in the planning permit and works approval processes.

Community members were also invited to make a submission on the works approval application by 14 November 2016.


To date, EPA has received four submissions from the community and interested stakeholders. These submissions include concerns over the potential issues of odour and noise impacts, dust and air pollution, increased traffic and contamination of ground water.

Next step

EPA will undertake a comprehensive assessment of the application in line with the Environment Protection Act 1970 and all relevant state environment protection policies (SEPPs) and guidelines. Accordingly, the assessment is limited to examining the environmental impacts of the saleyard and issues associated with its construction and operation.

EPA must make a decision to either approve or refuse to issue a works approval by 4 February 2017.

Contact EPA

If you wish to speak to someone about the works approval application, please call EPA’s Development Assessment Unit on 1300 372 842 (1300 EPA VIC) or email your enquiry to:

If you wish to speak to someone about the planning permit application, please contact the council or visit the council website at

Supporting documents

Page last updated on 6 Feb 2017