Get involved

Report litter


EPA’s public litter reporting service was the first of its kind in Australia. It enables members of the public to report people who throw litter from a Victorian-registered motor vehicle to EPA Victoria.

Roadside litter laws

Section 45G of the Environment Protection Act 1970 states that a vehicle’s registered owner will be deemed guilty of littering if they dispose of litter incorrectly (such as by throwing it out of a window). Report on the go or register to report litter online.

As a result of this service, more than 20,000 people are reported to EPA every year.

Approximately 86 per cent of litter fines EPA issues relate to lit and unlit cigarette butts being thrown from vehicles. Food packaging, drink containers and poorly secured rubbish are also among the reports received.

EPA thanks members of the community who take the time to report people who break the law by littering.

Roadside litter costs

The cost of litter has an impact on every Victorian – the annual cleanup bill costs the community around $80 million.

Q&A about litter reporting + Expand all Collapse all

  • What does EPA do about litter from vehicles?

    EPA has the power to issue an infringement or fine to the owner of the registered vehicle if litter is thrown out of their vehicle. EPA verifies the details of each litter report against the VicRoads database, if the details match, an infringement is issued.

    Fines range from $322 for a small piece of rubbish or unlit cigarette to $645 for a lit cigarette.

  • What types of litter can I report?

    Littering from a vehicle or by a person in close association to their vehicle can be reported to the EPA. For example, if a person drops a cigarette butt on the ground and then gets into a car and drives away, we can act against the vehicle owner. The types of litter you can report are:

    • cigarette butts
    • food waste (e.g., apple cores)
    • food packaging
    • drink containers.

    Other forms of litter need to be reported to your local council or other relevant agency. This littering includes:

    • installation of posters without consent
    • windblown litter from commercial premises or construction sites.

    Unsolicited advertising material in mailboxes and on parked cars should be reported to the Distributions Standards Board on 1800 676 136.

  • What information do I have to include with my litter reports?

    EPA requires the following information to be able to take action with a litter report:

    • registration number
    • vehicle description (including):
      • make
      • body type (sedan, utility, van etc.)
      • colour
      • model (if possible)
    • where the incident occurred – road, suburb or town
    • when the incident occurred
      • date
      • time (including am or pm)
    • type of litter
      • lit cigarette
      • unlit cigarette
      • food or beverage item
    • description of the person who littered (if possible) – male or female, brown hair, olive skin etc.

    If we don't have all this information, we may not be able to process your report – be sure to report as much important information as you can.

    Be sure to keep your notes after completing the online form in case we need to contact you to clarify the information.

  • Can I report interstate vehicles?

    EPA can only process reports for Victorian-registered motor vehicles.

    VicRoads is in the process of upgrading its registration and licensing system. Once this is complete, EPA will be able to consider taking action on reports of vehicles from other states. We encourage you to continue to report litterers – we couldn’t run the program without your help.

  • How long do I have to lodge a report?

    To help us process reports promptly, please submit them within seven days of the offence.

  • What are the fines for throwing litter from a vehicle?

    Fines for throwing litter from a car are:

    Small and large unlit items Burning items

    This includes unlit cigarette butts, paper wrappers, fast food packaging, drink containers and cigarette packets.

    This includes but isn't limited to items such as lit cigarettes and matches.

    $322 $645
  • Can I report litter from a vehicle in a car park?

    Yes. Although a car park may seem to be private property (for example, owned by a shopping centre), litter laws consider car parks as public roadways.

  • What does EPA do with the litter reports?

    If the vehicle description registered with VicRoads doesn't match the reported description, no further action will be taken. If the details match, in most instances we’ll send an infringement notice to the vehicle's owner.

    See the FAQ 'What are the fines for throwing litter from a vehicle?' for the amount of the various fines.

  • I've forgotten my password. How do I access the online reporting system?

    If you included your email with your registration details when you logged in, you can request an email be sent to that address with your login details. If you didn't include an email or it’s no longer current, please contact EPA on 1300 372 842 (1300 EPA VIC) or email

Page last updated on 15 Nov 2018