For business and industry

Construction industry – know where your waste goes

HIA guidance for builders

Building and construction sites create pollution, including different types of waste, noise and dust. As a builder, you can take measures to minimise the impact of your work on the health of people and the environment.

It's your job to dispose of all forms of waste properly.

Industrial waste resource guidelines + Expand all Collapse all

Waste transportation guidance + Expand all Collapse all

  • Do I need a permit to transport waste? If you are transporting prescribed industrial waste (PIW) for a fee or reward you must have a permit for the vehicle regardless of the quantity. To identify whether the waste is PIW please refer to the Industrial Waste Resource Guidelines.
  • If I am transporting my own waste do I need a permit? A waste transporter transporting PIW, for no fee or reward, where the net load is less than 50 kilograms or litres, is exempted from the requirement to hold a permit.
  • How do I apply for a new permit?

    The application form for vehicle permits can be downloaded from the waste transportation forms section on the EPA website.

    See Permit to transport prescribed industrial waste (publication IWRG811) for guidance on how to apply.

    See How do I complete a vehicle permit form? to learn more about selecting and completing the right form for your application.

  • I'm a vehicle lessee permit applicant, what information do I need to provide to EPA?

    The minimum information required to enable EPA to process applications from vehicle lessees includes:

    • Who is responsible for ensuring that the vehicle is fit for the purpose of transporting the prescribed industrial waste to be specified in the permit, and for maintaining the insurance policy.
    • Lease agreement signed and dated by both parties.
  • Do I need driver training to obtain a vehicle permit?

    Only drivers who have undertaken training provided by the Victorian Waste Management Association (VWMA) can drive the vehicle. The VWMA can be contacted through their VWMA or by phone 03 9646 8590.

  • What are the vehicle requirements for transporting asbestos waste and contaminated soil?

    Vehicles carrying asbestos and contaminated soil in a quantity of 500 kg/litres or more are considered as placarded loads, and must have the Dangerous Goods “Class 9” labels on the front and rear of the vehicle. If the waste is carried in secondary containers (e.g. wheely bins), these units must be secured to the tray of the vehicle using load restraining devices.

    Asbestos (packages and bulk loads) must be protected from adverse weather conditions using waterproof tarp covers (e.g. 650 gram PVC tarpaulin with acrylic lacquer on the top side, enveloped sides and tie downs). Higher vehicles must be fitted with retractable tarps or roll-on roll-off type tarp covers.

    The driver’s cabin and load carrying area should be physically separated by a solid partition.

    Guidance on the vehicle requirements is provided in Vehicle guidance: Non-tanker vehicles/trailers (EPA publication IWRG814) and a summary of the requirements is available in Appendix 1 of this document. A vehicle features/fittings photograph guide is also available on the EPA website.

    Asbestos waste must be appropriately packaged in accordance with the requirements of Asbestos transport and disposal (EPA publication IWRG611).

  • How long does it take to obtain a new permit?

    EPA must issue the permit or reject the application within 21 days of receipt of a complete application and the relevant application fee, or 21 days after receiving any additional information requested by us, whichever is the later.

    To help EPA process an application more efficiently, the applicant must ensure that they provide all the required information as detailed in the vehicle permit application form and relevant guidance material. Guidance and forms can be found on the waste transportation forms page of the EPA website.

    Delays can occur when applications are incomplete.

  • How do I set up my vehicle to transport prescribed industrial waste?

    The EPA has guidelines on vehicle standards which describe the vehicle feature/fittings requirements applicable to each vehicle type and the associated permitted waste codes.

    Further information can be sought from the Victorian Waste Management Association.

  • Where can I dispose of prescribed industrial waste? Facilities licensed by EPA to dispose of waste can be found by using the prescribed industrial waste database on the EPA website.
  • Where can I dispose of industrial wastewater inert sludges and slurries?

    Waste effluent discharges into the environment are subject to works approvals and licensing.  An exemption from these statutory processes is provided where an effluent reuse scheme meets EPA specifications. Further information can be found in the  Industrial Water Reuse (publication IWRG632) .

  • Where do I find the waste codes for a given prescribed industrial waste? Waste codes are described in Industrial Waste Resource Guidelines Waste Codes (EPA publication IWRG822).
  • Can I transfer my permit to a new vehicle? No you must submit a new permit application for the new vehicle.
  • If there is a change to the vehicle registration number, waste codes or business name, what do I do?

    You must submit an application to amend your permit. The application should be emailed to EPA must amend, or refuse to amend, a permit within 21 days after receiving a complete application and the relevant application fee.

  • What happens if my vehicle is sold?

    You can surrender your permit at any time by returning the permit statutory document along with a written request. You will be advised of the receipt of the request and if a pro-rata refund is applicable. The pro-rata refund can take up to 30 days to be issued once the surrender has been finalised.

    Alternatively, if you are the new vehicle owner, you can apply to transfer the permit into your name by submitting an application to transfer the permit. Email the application to EPA will acknowledge receipt of the application and advise the value of the fee once assessment of your application is complete.

    EPA must process the transfer within 21 days of receipt of a complete application and the relevant application fee, or 21 days after receiving any additional information requested by us, whichever is the later.

  • How do I obtain a replacement permit document or sticker? Send a request by email to EPA will process the request and mail the permit sticker within 7 days.
  • How do I get waste transport certificates?

    If you are a producer, accredited agent or transporter, once your registration for the EPA Interaction Portal has been finalised and you have received your log in details, electronic waste transport certificates will be automatically allocated to your account.

    Help with your waste transport certificates

  • If transporting asbestos or designated waste (liquid 30XY) to/from a temporary storage site that is covered by Regulation 12 (1)(d) or (e) of the Scheduled Premises Regulations 2017, do I need a waste transport certificate?

    Yes, the Environment Protection (Industrial Waste Resource) Regulations 2009 require prescribed industrial waste (PIW) to be transported in permitted vehicles and using waste transport certificates.

    To enable the temporary storage of asbestos or designated waste (liquid 30XY) at an unlicensed site, the occupier must register the premises as a temporary storage site on EPA's website portal. This will enable waste transport certificates to be completed (as required by the Environment Protection (Industrial Waste Resource) Regulations 2009).

    The material must be legally transported to and from the temporary storage site.

  • What is an accredited agent? An accredited agent is a person or company authorised by EPA Victoria to carry out certain functions on behalf of a waste producer. Further information can be found here.
  • How do I obtain accredited agent authorisation?

    Email your completed application to Granting accredited agent status is not automatic. Authorisation is based on a demonstrated knowledge of, and compliance with, the permit and waste transport certificate system. Assessment takes three to six months. There is no fee applicable; however, the transporter must satisfy the requirements.

    Further information can be found here.

  • If I am transporting waste across state borders do I need special approval?

    You must obtain a consignment authorisation from the environment protection agency in the receiving state prior to the movement of prescribed industrial waste. There are also requirements, under the Environment Protection (Industrial Waste Resource) Regulations 2009 for the movement of non-liquid PIW (solids and sludges) to another state or territory from Victoria.

  • Movement of controlled waste from interstate to Victoria

    The movement of controlled waste from interstate to Victoria is managed by the National Environment Protection (Movement of Controlled Waste between States and Territories) Measure (NEPM).

    Requirements for the movement of controlled waste from interstate to Victoria are provided in Movement of controlled waste into Victoria (publication IWGR831). The application form is available on the waste transportation forms page.

  • Movement of prescribed industrial waste from Victoria to interstate

    The interstate movement of prescribed industrial waste (PIW) from Victoria is managed under both:

    Requirements for the movement of PIW from Victoria are provided in Movement of industrial waste from Victoria (publication IWGR832). The application forma is available on the waste transportation forms page.

    Certificate books for the interstate movement of PIW can be purchased form EPA by calling our customer service team on 1300 372 842 (1300 EPA VIC).

  • If I am sending waste overseas do I need special approval? Yes, a permit must be obtained from the Department of Environment, Canberra,  ACT on 1800 803 772

Page last updated on 31 May 2018